No products in the cart.

Open: Radio Comms.

Hello & Welcome!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Merrill 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Matt McD~

Hello & Welcome to Radio Communications Group! We all should be interested in how to maintain communications when, not if, traditional infrastructure based communications systems fail, and they will fail! While Amateur Radio (HAM) is the gold standard of radio communications there are other ways to get on the air and effectively communicate with others should the infrastructure fail. GPRS, FRS, MURS, CB & other forms of radio comms.  will allow you to speak with local neighbors, families & friends. Some communities even have local GPRS repeaters in service which extends the range of your radio greatly! HAM radio is the gold standard because operators not only have the ability to communicate locally but worldwide via HF Phone (Speech), packet, digital, chat, email, Morse code and more! This group has been established to discuss these topics for the benefit of all so please exchange your questions and incites here for the benefit of all and remember, “If you ain’t got comms, you ain’t got shit!”.

robert brewer
    Participant

Hello Matt-I am very interested in using a ham radio for information when SHTF. I don’t have the funds to set up a big station and would like your input on what I should get. Anything you can suggested would be great help.

drmeans
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m Dave and in Region 9 Indiana Oathkeepers. I have already purchased my handheld set extra long life batteries whip antenna and am studying for the Technicians test.

Downloaded an app from I tunes as well as using a PDF file with the question pool and explanation of answer’s.

I have the Ba0Feng BF-F8HP with the whip antenna and the 7.4v 3800mAh batteries they come in a set at Amazon.

Now to get the dang license lol 🙂

Good Luck and GBA

Matt McD~

Robert Brewer, There is an axiom in Amateur Radio. A Technician license will cost you hundreds in equipment, a General License will cost you thousands and an Extra License…. well you get the point. Luckily you may only need a Tech License for local ecomms. Radio is part book learning & part doing “it” so you’ll need to get your Tech ticket. Once you get on the air you will learn through experimentation . The test is pretty straight forward 20 question multiple guess exam. It’s not much more difficult than a drivers license exam. Look for local HAM clubs who sponsor HAM cram courses 12hrs +/- of classroom instruction followed by the F.C.C. exam. Once you get your call sign search databases like repeaterbook.com to identify repeaters in your area. That information will help select a radio that fits your needs.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Matt McD~.

Pappy
    Participant

Hi all just took and passed the Technician test on the 2nd and waiting for my call sign to post on FCC website next month I plan on taking the General

Jim Merrill
    Participant

I posted this in activity and probably should have posted it here:

Hello all,

I read a few posts, mostly about getting on the air and a Tech license. 2m and 70cm is a great place to start (there are a few other privileges). However, please keep in mind that you will probably want to get on HF at some point. You will need a General ticket for that and an HF rig. This can be done for less than 1K if you shop around and know how to build a dipole. I’ve talked to the South Pole from MI on a dipole and 100 watts with an IC718 radio. There is a ton in this hobby to learn, and I mean a ton, but don’t let it discourage you.

To the HAMs on this list; are there any established nets currently, and if not, would you try on 20m 40m 80m?

To guys wanting to know more about HAM, just ask.

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.