No products in the cart.

Guardians of the Republic Forums Education & Outreach Outreach, Ideas and Experience Using Discord as a means to chat and connect?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chris4 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

D3f3ns0r
    Participant

Hey y’all,

For an organization this large, it seems really odd that there’s no way for people to communicate or for new members to find like-minded folks around them. I’ve started a Discord as a temporary spot where maybe we can circle the wagons and shoot the shit a little bit.

If there’s a really competent Discord admin out there, please hit me up if you want in on this, I’m just doing this because nobody else is. However I do work from home now, and can reliably assist with community support.

What is Discord?

Discord is a chat client intended for gaming, which has branched off into multiple other uses. It is capable of file sharing and voice as well, and is very malleable for channel creators in terms of organizing permissions and channels. Discord works as a standalone desktop application, a cell phone app, and an in-browser web app.

I’d like to get the ball rolling on this so we can all talk to each other, so at first it might be a little slow with just single digit numbers of members, so that’s something to keep in mind. In a typical Discord once you get into 30+ members where a few are constantly active, you’ll pretty much have a place where there’s always a conversation going and there is always something to talk about.

This isn’t some “Official Oath Keeper Discord” because I don’t have the authority to do anything officially, I’m just a member who saw that we didn’t have this capability and thought it’d be nice. If something like this already exists, please let me know.

https://discord.gg/AwuZAJH Click this link and follow the prompts and make an account to join. This invite is limited to 25 invites before it expires right now, just to test things out. It’s good practice not to make unlimited invite links that never expire in order to keep people from circulating an invite link out into the wild and attracting trolls and such. Let’s give this a try.

Doc
    Participant

Management and many states are using Signal for this.  Including for callouts.

Discord has some security issues that you might want to look into..

Doc

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Doc. Reason: punctuation

D3f3ns0r
    Participant

I’m aware of them, which is why it’s not a venue that opsec or persec sensitive issues should be discussed on, but it was mostly born of the frustration of trying to find out how I’m supposed to network with other Oathkeepers.

How the heck am I supposed to find and talk to other people? If peeps are using Signal, how can I get added? How can I find my local Texas chapter? There isn’t really any information there, and I’d like to be more active.

Doc
    Participant

Track down Scott Dunn and/or Bret Hamilton here, they will hook you up.  Or leave a note to @chris4 here, he may be able to pass your info on to either to have you added to Signal.  They will need your cell number.

Doc

chris4
    Participant

Yes, signal is very secure and we can form groups on it. I’m also wanting to get contact going with other Texans. Right now there is a Facebook for Texas, but I’m flat out not willing to use it.

Signal was so hard to setup when it first came out that I gave up on it.

It’s super easy to use now.

I’m also good on hosting a forum for Texas. This forum remains a disaster.

It’s very easy to have a forum that has private and unknown to the public, boards for us only. And also public areas to help other Texans communicate with us before joining Oath Keepers or not. We desperately need to unite patriots right away.

I now have two servers, which gives me the capability to directly control DNS myself setting up my own pair of name servers. If you don’t know what that is, that just means better security and less chance of us being tampered with from hackers sending others to a fake site.

Get signal and contact me through it at 360-499-1308. I recommend replacing your regular messaging app/built-in with signal. You can still start the other messaging apps manually. Messenger will fight you on this, but simple to just fight back if you need to keep it also.

My email is chris@bennettconstruction.us. https://bennettconstruction.us/contact.html will get me an immediate email plus a secret copy of the contact form info you send. Only I know where that is at.

Forming a Texas group on Signal is definitely a good idea.

Leonard (TX)
    Participant

I had thought about what options we have for communication since so many seem to be flapping in the wind with no one organizing many states/regions.  Each state could form a group on a platform like MeWe and set it so someone must approve membership in the group.  Signal for instant messaging and emergency contacts.  Use Proton mail for secure e-mail.

I was at the 3% FTX in Texas last year.  Was told Skip was going to be forming Texas OK up.  Gave them my information and have not heard anything since.  Anyone hear anything?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Leonard (TX).

D3f3ns0r
    Participant

@elkabong I talked to Scott today and he got me squared away with some Signal channels, he said Skip was the one who was in charge statewide in TX. Chris and I linked up on signal as well, so we’ll see if we can get everything consolidated soon. I wish I would have went to that FTX.

chris4
    Participant

This Signal channel was created by @elkabong. So I am assuming that it is the official one.

Trying to make contact with anyone in Texas through the forum has proved to be impossible. We need to consolidate members together. We have a lot to get done this year!

And next year and the year after…………

Leonard (TX)
    Participant

Chris, I had never made groups with Signal and was just trying it out.  Feel free to remake whatever.  Wish I had grabbed contact information at the FTX because there was at least one group I think south of Austin that was active and a group of 3% that seemed very active out toward Elgin I believe.

chris4
    Participant

No problems. Higher up says it’s OK. Probably should have someone make sure that everything is correct, but it’s not one of the closed groups. Nice name for the group.
    But I did search carefully first to make sure you were a real Oath Keeper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.