No products in the cart.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  EARL WEBB 20 hours, 13 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

BIGDEE
    Participant

Hey there just wondering if anyone has dabbled in ham radios at all?

Just for possible prepper gear a buddy and I bought some baofeng hand held radios which are actually pretty cool, I’m not computer savvy at all but you can do all kinds of tweaks to these things such as jailbreak for police and emergency response, and tune to wallow talkie channels which I guess will fry everyone’s walkers nearby.

As it is I bought some coaxle antenna adapters to run bigger antennas. I haven’t joined any clubs but we can listen in on the repeater talk but we don’t know how to dial the radios into repeaters so we can be heard by others.

As the radios sit my buddy and I can talk couch to couch a few miles away without repeaters or big antennas.

Just recently a friends dad passed away and I inherited his base station… I’ve got sooo much stuff now I don’t even know where to start, even have a 60’ crank up tower haha.

Just wanted to start a post about ham radios to see what everyone here has to say. I’ll get started on my tinfoil hat now 😂

Thanks

BIGDEE
    Participant

Check check 1-2, testing, CQ-CQ, breaker breaker, copy?     •••–––•••

dang guess my wife was right haha 🤣

Matt McD~

Bigdee, I am by no means an expert, as I have only been involved in Amateur Radio for a little over 2 years, but I maybe able to answer some of your questions.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Matt McD~.

BIGDEE
    Participant

Thanks Matt, my main question is how to tune the radio to a repeater, I know the radio can send a ping I just don’t know if I need a frequency or code from whoever runs the repeater.

Thanks

Matt McD~

To use a repeater you must program your radio with the repeater’s offset and tone. In other words the your radio must send the correct sub audible tone to the repeater on a specified frequency. This will open the repeater for your use but when the repeater re-transmits your signal it does so on another frequency. This is called the repeater’s offset. So to receive transmission from that same repeater your radio must be programmed with the offset receive frequency. (Sending on one frequency and receiving on another is called “Duplex” operation. Sending and receiving on the same frequency is called “Simplex” operation and is used for point to point communication with no repeaters involved. The term “ping’ is used in computer networks to check connectivity by sending data packets that are traced for and reply to the sender. I suppose the term could applied to radio communications when sending data by packet or digital radio. http://repeaterbook.com is an excellent reference for U.S. Repeater settings.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Matt McD~.

BIGDEE
    Participant

Awesome Matt much appreciated, thanks brother 👍🏻🇺🇸

Charlie Huffman
    Participant

This is W4SVS (Rocky) on the former site…We have been on the HF air for over 6 year and we monitor 24/7 our frequency..We have a group of hams that can get any message anywhere in the lower 48 and Alaska.Now that we have a place to post ,maybe some of the info from the other site can be put up to help others to get up to speed in ham operation..I will post the ham plan here to get a start. You can email me at cehuff1@gmail.com..I see no place to attach plan to this site…

Matt McD~

Charlie,  eMail me ( mattmcd@oathkeepers.org ) with your band plan and any other info you think pertinent and I’ll see about posting it. If there is enough interest I’ll consider starting our own forum Comms group here. I’d also like to set up a weekly WinLink email net so members in far flung areas with no internet access can send/receive check in emails via HF/VHF.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Matt McD~.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Matt McD~.

BIGDEE
    Participant

Awesome guys yes let’s get the ball rolling and get reconnected!

Thanks

Ronald
    Participant

For prospective new hams, when I started reading AARL training books, it was… huh?    What helped me the most to pass my technician then general was the video’s by “Ham Whisperer”.

http://www.hamwhisperer.com/p/ham-courses.html

With my shiny new-ish general license, I’ve been trying to sort out a HF setup that could get me essentially complete access, modest power/cost, and a subtle antenna…  Oh, yes, and simple for a NON technical type to operate.    A phrase I like to use is, “I don’t know what I don’t know… ”

Want to operate it mainly as a base unit, but on a power supply / battery set up so it can be taken mobile when warranted.

Matt McD~

Charlie Huffman,  I believe you are at Ground Zero Hurricane Michael. I have sent emails to both of your addresses. There are OK teams gathering to respond and, if you are in a position to do so, will need eComms coordination.  Please reply with your status.    MattMcD@OathKeepers.org

michael
    Participant

Been a HAM for 25+ years and I’m not one of those old stoggy hams ,came up through the early cb days but love HAM radio , will be glad to help out , live in central Texas

Matt McD~

Michael, It is my understanding that the team in Panama City FL are currently in need of  both V/UHF & HF infrastructure, perhaps even message relays to outside the area.  Most of the HF antennas failed to survive the storm. If you are in a position to help I can put you in contact with the ground zero team. Please reply by email to: mattmcd@OathKeepers.org

tr1gg3r
    Participant

Hope Charlie is doing okay.

I’m working on getting my license for the HAM. I think there might be a test in December that I might be able to take. Thanks for the links to the videos, that should help.

Awesome info Matt, appreciate the knowledge. When I get my handle I’ll be looking for a few people to talk to over the freqs!

How are things going with the team here in Florida? I’m in North East FL…

Lynnette Shimmin
    Participant

KB6RDX here. North Salt Lake, UT. Been a Ham forever and third generation on both sides of my family (6-call, yes originally from California). Grew up in the age of CW and kind of sad it’s not required anymore but there are more important things than arguing modes of transmission.

Just a short time ago, the FCC declared Baofeng handhelds not a legal handheld for Amateur Radio for marketing handhelds as one product while in fact it was another. I’ve included the link if you want to copy and paste it in your browser. It’s a pretty good read for those of us who follow the book yet like to get creative with our own HF/UHF/VHF gear yet stay within the law.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

73 & Make a Great Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.