No products in the cart.


Radio Communication NOW and in a WROL Situation.

Radio Communication NOW and in a WROL Situation.

Southern Prepper 1 describes his prepper group’s journey through various comm choices. This video is 5 years old, but much of what he talks of is still pertinent. There are other brands of radios that do what their final choice was, but they all do pretty much the same.

[ot-video type=”youtube” url=””]


Shorty Dawkins



  1. The only problem we have had with Wouxun is that they don’t back their products with any American service center. They also have a bug that affects a small percentage of their units. Each time you turn on a Wouxun it writes a chip. Instead of using a premium quality chip they used one that won’t write beyond a certain number of times, so a small percentage of their radios lose their memory when turned off and back on again. My recommendation if you own a Wouxun is to never turn it off. Just charge it with the radio turned on. It takes a bit longer but you save the chip.
    As a result of this design problem, and the fact that they want defective radios to be sent back to China for repair, we have switched to the Anytone line. We have the 3208 and the 3318. These have an FCC id type acceptance number and are approved for part 90 operation on the business bands. Since ham use does not require a type acceptance number they can also be used for ham frequencies without breaking the FCC regs. Anytone also has a US based service center. They look up the radio by serial number, and if it’s within one year from manufacture they either repair or replace it free, and if it’s out of warranty they have a flat rate.
    MURS and FRS/GMRS, and CB are part 95 services. Part 95 of the FCC rules requires the radio used be type accepted for part 95 with an FCC ID number. These radios are NOT. They are type accepted for part 90 business band use, and should not be used on a day to day basis for two way commo on those three part 95 services. If you have your ham license you can have those frequencies in your radios for Emergency use only. You can contact me for the details and I can direct you to all the proper websites so you can read these regs yourself. Here is my current list of radios for safety and emergency commo, and they are what we are using in Montana at this time.
    We recommend that you get your GMRS license and also your tech class ham license. There are many reasons for getting these. The reasons far outweigh the negatives. 800 889 2839
    Paul Stramer

  2. Shorty,
    Excellent video. Many thanks!

    Our group has gone through a similar process as described by the Southern Prepper in the video for our VHF/UHF communications.

    We have currently standardized on the Baofeng UV-82 hand-held unit due to its low cost, reasonable performance, and US service facility (Btech). It does about everything any of the other hand-held units do and can be programmed in the field (not fun) or by using a computer program (very easy as long as you first read the directions). We use the RT Systems programming software as it always works and RT Systems seems to keep it up to date ($50 for the software and programming cable with US tech support by native English speakers!). The UV-82 price on Amazon as I write this is just under $30 for the 5 watt version and about $60 for the 7 watt version (UV-82HP). The UV-82 is a slightly upgraded version of the Baofeng UV-5R which normally is a few dollars less on Amazon. An extra battery runs from about $9 to $15 dollars depending on capacity, brand, and who is selling the unit.

    Our core group of radio guys and gals are all Extra Class hams. We have been working to add more licensed hams so that we might have a broad spectrum of frequencies to use as well as the ham repeaters as an integral asset. This “be a ham” approach also will naturally provide people who regularly use their radios…nothing like being able to turn on the radio in the dark at 3AM when necessary and know if something doesn’t work the first time that plan B will be a natural progression. A couple of us old heads provide a programmed radio to each person who passes their Tech license. (Standardized radio, standardized frequencies, and standardized instruction.)

    Because of the low cost of the UV-82, a person can have two or three radios, a software programming kit, a couple of extra batteries and chargers, and a mag-mount antenna for their car (or house) for under $200. We encourage our members to pack away the unused radio(s) and charger(s) in an EMP resistant foil/mylar pouch and put both in an old GI ammo can. (We use the 3M/SCS DRI-SHIELD 3400 series bags.) All radios in the group are programmed alike. Standardized radios, standardized frequency channels, and sometimes, we even standardize our radio procedures. A new guy in the group can ask any group member for help with his radio and expect an answer.

    Since our core group is composed of hams, we are also working on a near vertical incidence skywave (NVIS) system on 75 meters in order to provide a plan B for longer distance communication and over the mountain reliability…more on this later if anyone is interested.

    Again, Shorty, excellent video!

Comments are closed.