No products in the cart.


Charleston Chemical Spill Reinforces Importance Of Storing Water

bottled water

It is for emergencies such as this that we strongly encourage the formation of Civilization Preservation Teams (CPT). Not only will the CPTs be ready to maintain order, but if they are prepared, as they should be, with emergency water supplies and food, the crisis can be overcome without violence. – Shorty Dawkins, Associate Editor

This article comes from The

by P. Henry

Most of you have heard by now of the chemical spill in Charleston, West Virginia. For those who are fasting television or news, last Thursday, a chemical used in coal processing leaked from a plant into the nearby Elk River. The chemical was 4-methylcyclohexane methanol that spilled out of a 40,000 gallon tank and officials believe that almost 7,500 gallons leaked out before they were able to stop it. The Elk River is the major source of drinking water for the city of Charleston and as soon as the authorities knew about the problem a drinking ban was issued.

A reader of The Prepper Journal, Steve who lives in Charleston contacted me and gave me some perspective from his experience on the ground.

10:00 A.M. the water company knew there was an unknown chemical coming into the water supply system.

They continued to process the water until around 4:00 PM when they noticed a smell from the finished water that caused them to question themselves.

6:00 PM an order was finally issued to not use the water. Although the local emergency broadcast system was not used.  Luckily, we have friends that let us know.

What if the chemical didn’t have an odor?
Just yesterday that ban was lifted, but what if this had happened in your town? Would you be able to live comfortably with no water from the tap for 5 days? The news reports that I read stated that there was plenty of water and the stores never ran out. That is in direct contradiction to what Steve tells me:

Immediately after the announcement, the stores in the area were rushed for any bottled water products. Within an hour the stores were emptied.  Do not let anyone tell you that everything was nice, peaceful and everyone conducted themselves gracefully.  There were fist fights and scuffles for the last of the water.

After the order was issued no one could give any answers as to when drinkable water would be available.  Those with water were either hording it or selling it at enormous prices.

48 hours after the ban,  water began to be distributed to the everyday person.  Hospitals and nursing homes received the first shipments.  By the way the hospitals (except one) were not taking any new patients).  If you got hurt or injured you were on your own or had to travel an hour away for treatment.

Read more here.