December 20th, 2012

California Marine Stands Watch Outside Elementary School

Marine School

Editors Note: This story, published by the New York Daily News, seems at first glance to be a step in the right direction.  Current serving soldiers on leave stepping up to watch over their local school; that’s a great thing.  It’s great because they made the decision themselves.  They were not ordered to do it.  They just did it.  However, there is a reason why the MSM sometimes likes story’s like this, and certain factors need to be taken into account.  What if you didn’t have a uniform, but you want to watch over your local school?  Would you get the same treatment from the media, or the school?  I doubt it.  What about teachers?  Aren’t they already watching over the school all day long?  Why are they not being treated seriously as possible defenders against an attack?  And, what if the soldier had actually come armed to defend the school?  Would he have been arrested?  The message being sent here is that one does not necessarily need a gun in order to defend against an armed attack (take special note of the giant petition for the banning of “Assault Weapons” at the bottom the the Daily News article).  Sadly, having a man in uniform outside your school house is not going to deter a psychotic shooter; only facing down a gun will make him think twice.  I applaud these soldiers for trying to do something, rather than nothing, but the real solution has already been put out there:  Stop beating around the bush and allow teachers to arm themselves, or, allow neighborhood watches to form as protection for local schools.

Brandon Smith, Associate Editor

This article was written by Phillip Caulfield and originally published at New York Daily News

One day after Nashville Marine takes post outside children’s school, a Marine and expecting father in California has done the same.

Another Marine has taken up a post outside his local elementary school.

Marine Sgt. Craig Pusley, 28, of Hughson, told the Modesto Bee he decided to stand outside Hughson Elementary School after reading a Facebook message urging soldiers to guard their local schools after Friday’s horrific Sandy Hook school massacre.

“When I enlisted, I swore to defend this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic,” he told the newspaper.

The young father, who has a 3-year-old son and another on the way with his wife, Kristina, is dressed in combat fatigues, but isn’t armed.

He said he doesn’t need a weapon.

“I don’t have a fear in the world that if someone came here, I’d have the strength and the ability to protect (the school).” he said.

Pusley served two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, where “schools are kind of against the rules,” he told the Bee.

He wasn’t going to let kids in his neighborhood live in fear of coming to school.

“I just want to have a word to this community that I stand between them and any danger,” he told the Bee.

Hughson goes on break for the holidays on Thursday. Pusley said he was considering coming back in January.

Friday’s rampage in Newtown has sparked panic in schools across the U.S.

In San Diego on Thursday, one district decided to close schools on Thursday and Friday after receiving calls from scores of parents worried about shootings, NBC San Diego reported.

News of Pusley’s watch comes days after it was reported that a Marine and father in Nashville was taking up watch outside his chidrens’ school.

Staff Sgt. Jordan Pritchard also wore fatigues and did not carry a weapon while standing outside Gower Elementary School, where his two children are students.

“I feel like this is something I had to do,” he told a local TV station on Tuesday.

SUPPORT OUR BILLBOARD CAMPAIGN
Placing billboards outside of military bases to remind service members of their oath

Please donate and support Oath Keepers mission, every little bit helps!

Read More Posts

Comments posted belong to the commenter alone, and are not endorsed by Oath Keepers or the administrators for this site. We will remove offensive, racist, or threatening comments.

4 Responses to “California Marine Stands Watch Outside Elementary School”

1. 1
    Patriot Sam Says:

As it turns out this guy is full of shit.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/12/20/update-former-marine-standing-guard-lied-about-service-record/

2. 2
    Elias Alias Says:

Yeah – Bummer! Thanks for updating us on this, Patriot Sam!

I will talk with Brandon Smith, our Associate Editor who posted this one, and let him make the call about pulling it off of our site. Maybe we should leave it up here as a reminder of several things, eh?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,
    Salute!
    Elias Alias, editor

3. 3
    Alexander Watters Says:

Personally I think any available Oath Keeper should volunteer to stand unarmed at schools as a sign to other Americans that we are not a so called “Domestic Militia” or any threat to our country as some want to make us out to be. It would be positive public relations for members to do so
    (With permission from the current presiding directors, and officers of the organization of Course).
    We should not do it on our own with any insignias referencing Oath Keepers without it being duly authorized. However the positive public relations it would present is that we support and defend the rights of our children to be free from “Fear” of attending school. It would show school officials that there are people willing to stand as a line of defense between them and any possible threat that may present itself.
    It would also relieve local authorities so they would be able to concentrate on more serious crimes and patrols. Our Police departments are undermanned and under budgeted as it is today. In some states and areas there is only one office for 100 square miles. Is this something that we can consider? I’m currently retired, and would volunteer to stand watch during school hours for any school district that would accept our offer to be there for them.
    Besides, it would give children a sense of security knowing that someone was there to defend and protect them. The emotional damage this incident has caused has been like a ripple on a pond in this country. My own grandson who is 14 now came out and told me he is afraid to go to school now. This is no way for our children to be able to learn in a positive way. We as members talk a lot on line about what we need to do if our country starts to deteriorate and certain government factions want to take our firearms away. As we just going to sit by while the House and Congress fall prey to Obama’s plan to remove our 2nd amendment rights? What better way to show the entire country what we stand for is not just for us alone, but for them as citizens as well. Maybe it’s not my place to speak up here or express an idea that creates an environment where, people see Oath Keepers they might be willing to stand up and join the organization as well. Swelling our ranks for an Honorable and Noble cause. I will leave this up the readers to think about. We talk about “Boots on the Ground”, here is an opportunity to seriously expand our image in a positive way and gain respect from others including those in power in Washington D.C..
    Thanks for making this an OPEN forum where members can express their feeling and opinions.
    With my deepest respect and honor for my fellow Oath Keepers.
    Alexander Watters
    Roanoke,VA
    Member#012386

4. 4
    iBChili Says:

I would be honored to represent Oath Keepers by protecting our children at school events. Mr.Watters comment should be published in every newspaper in this country.